At the World Stadium Congress – Qatar 2017
Whilst introducing Paul Fletcher, the compere asked:
“Does anybody in the world have more stadium experience than our speaker today??”
PAUL FLETCHER M.B.E: An Introduction
- Been a football spectator since the age of seven.
- Played in most of the UK’s stadiums during a 16-year professional career.
- Represented England on 4 occasions at u23 level.
- Been commercial manager at a non-league football club, Colne Dynamoes.
- As CEO, masterminded the McAlpine Stadium, Huddersfield.
- Introduced professional football and rugby league in the same stadium, on the same pitch.
- Received the ‘Building of the Year’ award in 1995.
- Whilst CEO, Huddersfield Town FC are promoted into the Championship.
- Organised numerous Stadium Rock Concerts.
- Became CEO at the Reebok Stadium during its conception.
- Whilst CEO, Bolton Wanderers are promoted into the Premiership.
- Has negotiated 5 major multi-million pound ‘naming rights’ contracts.
- Became Commercial Director of the new Wembley Stadium in 2000.
- Was CEO at The Ricoh Arena, Coventry.
- Went on to become Managing Director of Coventry City Football Club.
- Has negotiated over £100 million in sponsorship agreements.
- Invented and patented ‘StadiArena’ in 2006.
- Awarded the MBE for services to football in 2007.
- 2008 returns to Burnley Football Club as Chief Executive.
- 2009 Burnley are promoted back into the Premiership after a 33 years wait.
- Co Founder and Director of the worlds first Football University UCFB, University College of Football Business (now at Wembley, Etihad and Real Madrid).
- Consultant to new stadiums in: Ahmedabad India, São Paulo Brazil, Philadelphia USA and others.
- Author of numerous books, including ‘The Seven Go£den Secrets of a Successful Stadium’.
“Paul has been a hero of mine since scoring the greatest goal I ever saw against reigning champions Leeds United in 1974. Paul knows a thing or two about football, having played at the top level for many years. He also knows a thing or two about stadia too, with the ‘Building of the year’…
“Paul Fletcher used to make a living – just – out of beating up centre halves. Over the last 25 years though, he has had more clubs than he ever had as a player, but this time he’s built stadiums for them, not scored goals. Fletch has been there and done it – and picked…
“I first met Paul when I was chairman of Sheffield Wednesday and he came to Hillsborough to speak at a Sportsman’s Dinner. We sat next to each other that night and our friendship was sealed. Over the next decade I watched Paul’s progress and as I was becoming more and more involved in football’s hierarchy…